Condom Breaks or Slips
Worried about HIV or STDs?
If you ( or your partner ) have experienced a condom break, condom slip, or have had unprotected sex, do call or SMS us at 9662 5512.
What to do when the condom tears, breaks or slips out?
1) Stop having sex immediately.
2) Remove condom and wash yourself with warm water. For ladies, if you suspect your partner has ejaculated inside you, DO NOT try to scrape the ejaculate out with your fingers or other objects as that risks injuring the vaginal walls and may increase the risk of infection. For the same reason, DO NOT use strong antiseptics and caustic soaps to wash the intimate areas.
- poor quality or expired condoms
- condom was not kept properly ( eg. left in the car in the sun )
- damaged by nails or teeth when opening condom
- insufficient lubrication – most condoms available in Singapore are pre-lubricated but if the receptive ( anal or vaginal ) partner is too dry, or if sex was prolonged, the initial amount of lubricant may not be sufficient.
- rough sex
- inappropriate lubricant – always use water-based lubricants with condoms; oil-based ones such as massage oils can increase the risk of breaks.
- 2 condoms were used simultaneously – double condoms actually increase the risk of breakage when the 2 condoms rub against each other.
- rough sex or prolonged sex
- penis was not fully erect when the condom was put on; or penis goes soft during sex
- condom was not rolled down completely to the base of the penis
- condom was too big – condoms smaller than the standard sized ones may be available at specialty shops
Treatments and HIV post-exposure prophylaxis are most effective when started early. For inquiries and an appointment with our dedicated doctors, please call 6251 5512 or SMS/WhatsApp 9662 5512